Monday, August 15, 2011

All the World


One of my favorite picture books right now is All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon and illustrated by Marla Frazee. It has no shortage of fans, being a Caldecott Honor Book and a New York Times Best Illustrated choice of 2009. 

I could tell you all about the extensive praise that the lyrical text and captivating drawings have received, but instead I am posting a video of Ms. Frazee talking about the joys of illustrating for the child audience.
Any time I have an opportunity to hear an illustrator speak about their artistic inspiration and craftsmanship, I am in awe. These are the people who can bring stories to life.
All the World achieves that perfect union of word and picture, but I would say it takes it one step beyond and Frazee's illustrations tell many tales within the text. It is a beautiful, grand achievement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails